New Member

Can a parent that receives social security benefits and a pension be a dependent that lives with me?

New Member

Retirement tax questions

Generally, you can claim your parent if they didn't have more than $4,050 in gross income (excluding nontaxable social security benefits) and you provided more than half of their support. Your parent doesn't have to live with you. 

Tax­ exempt income. In figuring a person's total support, include tax-exempt income, savings, and borrowed amounts used to support that person. Tax-exempt income includes certain social security benefits, welfare benefits, nontaxable life insurance proceeds, Armed Forces family allotments, nontaxable pensions, and tax-exempt interest.

See the screenshot below of the IRS Worksheet for Determining Support.

Related Information:

View solution in original post