mkbraver

My wife left her position in 2018 and her company deducted her 401k loan balance from her final distribution. I have a 1099-R for that -do I pay taxes on that amount?

Is this loan payoff considered a distribution?

WillK
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Yes, when you have a loan and you leave a company, it is converted to distribution and you would need to file that to pay taxes and and any early withdrawal penalty on it. Turbo Tax will walk you through how to file that. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

MinhT
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Yes, the 401(k) distribution to pay off a loan is taxable as for any other distribution from a 401(k). This is considered as a distribution as if the 401(k) paid the money to you and you paid off the loan.

If your wife is under age 59 1/2, she is also liable for an early withdrawal penalty of 10%.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Retirement tax questions

This offset distribution, indicated with code M in box 7 of the Form 1099-R is eligible for rollover.  You have until the due date of your 2018 tax return, including extensions, to come up with the money to complete this rollover to another qualified retirement account like a traditional IRA.  Whatever amount you roll over will continue to have taxes deferred and avoid an early-distribution penalty.