tiffers85

I am on SSI not SSDI, I don't get the annual tax statement. I get 0 taxable income but I need the irs to have my current banking info and it's is not accepting calls. Grr

AlanT222
Expert Alumni

Retirement tax questions

Social Security and Railroad Retirement recipients who are not typically required to file a tax return need to take no action. The IRS will use the information on the Form SSA-1099 and Form RRB-1099 to generate Economic Impact Payments of $1,200 to these individuals even if they did not file tax returns in 2018 or 2019. Recipients will receive these payments as a direct deposit or by paper check, just as they would normally receive their benefits. Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) recipients are also part of this group who don't need to take action.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Retirement tax questions

People on SSI don't get 1099 so how will the IRS know that I even exist ?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement tax questions

Social Security recipients do receive a Form SSA-1099 every year reporting the amount of payments that you received during the year.  If that is your only income, it would not be reported on a tax return.

According to information on the IRS website regarding the stimulus payments, Social Security recipients will receive their stimulus payment in the same manner as they would normally receive their benefits.  You do not need to file a tax return in order to receive the stimulus payment.  If your Social Security benefits are being direct deposited, then your stimulus payment will go to the same account.

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) recipients will need to register to receive the stimulus payment if you are not otherwise required to file a tax return.  You can use the TurboTax Stimulus Registration to provide your information to the IRS, including your direct deposit information.

Use the following link to get started.  Go to the orange Register Now button that you see as you scroll down the page.

TurboTax - Stimulus Check

@Brneyedgrl52

[edited 4/10/2020 | 9:25 am PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"