rental property

I am using TurboTax premier for the first time this year. I did taxes manually before. I have condo that I rent for many years. I have income and expenses that I show in schedule E, and with depreciation of the property I have loss that on form 8582 allow me to deduct it from total income on 1040. Why TurboTax did not put loss number in form 8582 part 1 (1b) and did not do calculation in part11(special allowance.....). It put my loss on 3b line and 4 line, and says 0 deduction allow. I marked myself as active participant, I am under $150000 and should be allowed to deduct up to $25000 (my loss about $10000). Thank you for your help.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

The cut off starts a $100,000 and ends at $150,000.

Maximum special allowance.   The maximum special allowance is:

• $25,000 for single individuals and married individuals filing a joint return for the tax year,
  • $12,500 for married individuals who file separate returns for the tax year and lived apart from their spouses at all times during the tax year, and
  • $25,000 for a qualifying estate reduced by the special allowance for which the surviving spouse qualified.

If your modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) is $100,000 or less ($50,000 or less if married filing separately), you can deduct your loss up to the amount specified above. If your MAGI is more than $100,000 (more than $50,000 if married filing separately), your special allowance is limited to 50% of the difference between $150,000 ($75,000 if married filing separately) and your MAGI.

Generally, if your MAGI is $150,000 or more ($75,000 or more if you are married filing separately), there is no special allowance.

Form 8582 losses are not realized until the complete disposal of the property.

Investors & landlords

I wasn't clear about my MAGI, my MAGI is less than $100,000 (joint return) and that is why I was expecting to see my loss being deducted but the program did not do it. That was my question. Where should I look and re-check my entries, what forms, what lines? Thank you.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

Start off with the set up of the rental. Edit each section to make sure you didn't accidentally disqualify it. If all else fails, delete the Schedule E and redo it.

Investors & landlords

I found the answer. In schedule E  (wks) the line 'active participation' was not checked. I think it is a mistake that this program do not ask the question 'Are you active participant ?' and put a mark on needed form. H&R does.

Thank you for your time and help.