kathy e
Returning Member

Do i enter capital gains/losses without 1099

How do I do this without a 1099
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

Yes, you can do this if you don't have a Form 1099-B by selecting the Other box in TurboTax online (see image below).  Here's how you enter those:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the search box (upper right), Type investment sales > Press enter > select the Jump to link in the search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you sell stocks, mutual funds, bonds,  or other investments in 2020?
    • If you land on the investment sales summary screen , select Add More Sales.
  4. Select Other then Continue.
  5. On the next screen, select the type of sale you had (like second home, collectible, or land) and Continue.
  6. Continue following the onscreen instructions to enter the sale

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Investors & landlords

i have received a form 8949 showing one sixth of a lost as the result of the sale of the home after parents have died. the home was the parents primary home and the proceeds were distributed to six siblings. how should this be entered?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Investors & landlords

You will report your share of the sale in the same section in which you report stock and other investment sales.  To enter:

• Type "Investment sales" in the search window and click Enter
  • Click on "Jump to Investment sales"
  • On the page with "Did you sell any investments in 2020?"  Answer Yes
  • Answer "Other" to "OK, what type of investments did you sell?" and click Continue
  • Enter the name of the person or firm that brokered this sale
  • On the page with "Now we’ll walk you through entering your sale details" for "What type of investment you sold" Indicate "Land (personal use) "
  • Indicate "How did you receive this investment?
  • Enter the details of the sale, and the interview will walk you through entering the details of the sale

Investors & landlords

How old are these instructions?

Every time I try to use the search box per these instructions (this one and many others), I NEVER get the Jump To link anymore. 

What I get is the same instructions to use the Jump To link - but that link never shows up.

This has happened multiple times and I wish you would just tell me what form to go to because there is no link.  

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Investors & landlords

If you are trying to get to the Investment Sales section of your return, go to Federal > Income > Investment Income > Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other to enter details of your investment sales with or without a Form 1099-B.

@Imalreadysignedon