tricie17

I sold my primary residence in 2019. The new owners rented it for 30 days at a very discounted rate. Where do I claim the rental and the sale of the house?

Investors & landlords

after the sale the new owner reports the rental income not you....report the sale in the sale of home area.

TomD8
Level 15

Investors & landlords

If the new owner rented the house from you prior to closing, you report the rental income and expenses on Schedule E of your tax return.

To report the sale of your home in TurboTax, go to the Less Common Income section of Personal Income and you'll see the section titled "Sale of Home."  

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
Carl
Level 15

Investors & landlords

If the new owners rented the property from you before you closed on the sale, the rental income is reported on SCH E. But if it was only for one month, you "can" just add what they paid you for rent, to what they paid you for the house. Dealing with the SCH E for one month of rental income is a real PITA. Since you're not required to depreciate the property (because it was rented for less than a year) I'd just add the rent to the sales price and not deal with the SCH E at all.