New Member

How to use W-2's on tax returns as a graduate research assistant

currently I am a graduate student (full time). I recieve a monthly stipend as well as my tuition paid for. I have a 1098-T and a W2 form. A lot of taxes are not taken out of my monthly stipend so i'm afraid that we will owe money. I only work 20 hours a week and only 9 months out of the year. My husband is the main provider for myself and our two kids.
Intuit Alumni


Entering your W-2 information and your education expense information on your Form 1098-T are two unrelated items except for the fact that they both come from the same place. 

You will simply enter the information on your W-2 form in the W-2 section of the tax return along with any W-2s that your spouse has received.  As more than one W-2 is entered, be sure to watch for a button to select whose W-2 you are working on.

Then, you will go to a different section of your return to enter the information reported on your Form 1098-T, along with any other educational expenses not reported on the form.

Use the following steps to go directly to either of these sections of your return.  Substitute either “W-2” or “education” for “search term” in the steps.

  • On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

  • This opens a box where you can type in “search term” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to search term

  • Click on the blue “Jump to search term” link


If this did not answer your question, please add more details or submit a new question.