Tuition reimbursement

If I got tuition reimbursement, how do I know if it's included on my W2?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

Education

If it is nontaxable tuition reimbursement it may only be included in the notes at the top of the W-2, not in the actual form itself.  If it's taxable, it will be included in box 1 of your W-2.  Ther might be a notation in box 14 of the W-2.

The best way to find out is to check your company's internal website (if they have one) or contact your benefits coordinator to find out if the tuition reimbursement is taxable or nontaxable.

Regardless of whether the tuition reimbursement is taxable, you need to enter it in TurboTax because it will have an effect on any education credits or deductions. 

If you are walking through the Education screens for the first time, you will come to a screen where you enter support not reported on the 1098-T.

If you've been through the Education screens and missed it, please follow these steps to enter the information:

1. On the Your Education Expenses Summary click on the Edit box next to the student's name.  [Screenshot #1]
  2. On the screen, Here's Your Education Summary, click on Edit next to Scholarships/Grants (for all schools).  [Screenshot #2]
  3. Continue to the screen, Did [name] Receive a Scholarship or Grant in 2016?  Click the Yes button.
  4. In the section that pops up (below the grey line), enter the amount of Employer-Provided Assistance in the box.  Click Continue[Screenshot #3]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"