New Member

I am paying a student loan with interest that is based in Canada. Can I claim this on my federal return?

It is not based through any particular province, but federally.
Level 15


It may qualify.  I have put some information from the IRS web site with a link attached.  Please look over as this should answer your question.  

"Eligible educational institution.   An eligible educational institution is any college, university, vocational school, or other post secondary educational institution eligible to participate in a student aid program administered by the U.S. Department of Education. It includes virtually all accredited public, nonprofit, and proprietary (privately owned profit-making) post secondary institutions.

  Certain educational institutions located outside the United States also participate in the U.S. Department of Education's Federal Student Aid (FSA) programs."


View solution in original post