New Member

My university never sent me a 1098-T form. What should I do?

I am a graduate student enrolled full time in an accredited university in the United States. The university never sent me a 1098-T because they didn't have my SSN on file at the time the forms went out. A financial clerk at school told me to just look up the tuition amounts in my account for tax purposes, but will not send me a 1098-T form. I have records of everything online. What should I do?

Intuit Alumni


Yes, the clerk is correct. You can use your student school account statement and enter the pertinent information from it.

Make sure you keep a copy with your tax records.

Report what was paid in tax year 2016 for education expenses incurred for tax year 2016 and/or the first 3 months of 2017 (if paid in 2016).

Also report all tax-free assistance.

According to the IRS:

" a taxpayer may claim one of these education benefits without a Form 1098-T if the taxpayer otherwise qualifies, can demonstrate that the taxpayer (or a dependent) was enrolled at an eligible educational institution, and can substantiate the payment of qualified tuition and related expenses."

CLICK HERE for IRS Pub 970 Tax Benefits for Education

View solution in original post