On my W-2, in box 14 there are 3 separate amounts listed. Should I add them up and enter the total?

DeniseF1

Business & farm

No. Enter each item separately on it's own row. Select the 'Add Another Row' link to enter additional Box 14 description, amount, and category. See attachment.

Employers can put just about anything in box 14; it's a catch-all for items that don't have their own dedicated box on the W-2.

In TurboTax, enter the description from your W-2's box 14 on the first field in the row. Enter the dollar amount and select the correct tax category that goes with that description.

If none of the categories apply, scroll to the bottom of the list and choose Other–not on above list. Don’t worry. We'll figure out if it impacts your return or not. If we need more information, we'll ask you later in the interview.

liggity87

Business & farm

What if your not sure if it matches a catagory?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Business & farm

If your amounts in box 14 do not match a particular category, you should put them in Other - not on the above list. I have attached a picture for additional reference. 

@liggity87

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Business & farm

@LenaH  So if I have separate lines for box 14 of "Donation", "RSU", "SSAR" the category should be other - not on the above list?

Business & farm

@LenaH actually my drop down list has "other - not classified". Is this the same thing?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Business & farm

@camachos67 Yes, choose 'Other, Not Classified' if your Box 14 codes on your W-2 don't match any of the dropdown list selections.

Box 14 items don't usually affect your tax return.

Click this link for more info on Box 14

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"