Sale of inherited home

I inherited a home in Texas from my father in 2001.  My step-mother lived there until 2015.  The home was sold in 2016.  How do I enter the net profit ($30000)?  Can I take off any of the closing costs and trips we took to clean it out before sale?
DS30

Deductions & credits

You will enter the sale of an inherited home as the sale of a capital asset. You will be able to increase the basis in the home by the amount of eligible closing costs. The trips to TX to clean the property before sale will be considered non-deductible personal expenses.

Click this link for further information about reporting the sale of a capital asset 

To enter this transaction in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") and type "investment income (gains and losses)" in the search bar then select "jump to investment income (gains and losses)". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information (see step 6 below) 

Alternatively, to enter this transaction in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Personal Income" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Investment Income”
  5. Choose “Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other” and select “start’ (or “update” is you have already worked on this section)
  6. The first screen will ask if you sold any investments during the current tax year (This includes any sale of real property held as an investment property so answer “yes” to this question)
  7. Since you did not receive a 1099-B, answer “no” to the 1099-B question
  8. Choose type of investment you sold - select everything else
  9. Some basic information:
    1. Description –  Usually the address of the property sold
    2. Sales Proceeds – Net proceeds from the sale (on 1099-S amount received for the property) Do not include closing costs here. Instead increase the basis by any allowable closing costs. Please refer to  IRS - figuring basis on property  for information about allowable closing costs.
    3. Date Sold – Date you sold the property (on 1099-S)
  10. Tell us how you acquired the property - inheritance
  11. Enter the date inherited
  12. Enter the your fair market value - Fair Market Value of the property at the time of inheritance plus any capital improvements since inheriting it. (Also, you can increase the basis (FMV) by the allowable closing costs)
  13. If you had a loss, on the question of "Did you use this property for business or investment?" If the inherited house was not used for any personal use (no family member lived in it or used it between the time of inheritance and the sale), you will answer that this was for investment.

Click IRS answers on Gifts and Inheritance for more information from the IRS on the sale of an inherited house.

View solution in original post

AndyG92
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

DS30,

In your reply, you stated on #13, that "If you had a loss, on the question of "Did you use this property for business or investment?" If the inherited house was not used for any personal use (no family member lived in it or used it between the time of inheritance and the sale), you will answer that this was for investment."  I would like to know your source and how exactly you found it.  We may be selling an inherited home for a loss, but a family member has been living there since the owner passed.  Would this disqualify the potential tax deduction if we experienced a loss on sale?

Deductions & credits

For 2020, the screens have changed and this answer won't quite apply.  One thing different for 2020 is you should type "Inherited" in the field for the acquisition date.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

@JeanneK  If you have a loss on inherited property, it is claimed, up to $3,000/year. What do you mean the loss is zeroed out? My program is calculating correctly. Do you need to update?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

Amy,

I got this from Turbotax 2019.  This is a case where the inherited house was sold as soon as it came out of probate.  It was never used as an investment or lived in by the heir.  When entered in Turbotax 2019, it asks how the property was used.  When "personal, non-investment use" is selected, Turbotax says you cannot take a loss on property that was never used for investment purposes and it zeroes out the loss.

If I misinterpreted, that would be a bonus, as I could then use the loss to offset all gains +3000, right?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

You did not misinterpret - you cannot take a loss on property that was never used for investment purposes.

From the IRS:   A loss on the sale or exchange of personal use property, including a capital loss on the sale of your home used by you as your personal residence at the time of sale, or loss attributable to the part of your home used for personal purposes, isn't deductible. Only losses associated with property (or a portion of property), used in a trade or business and investment property (for example, stocks) are deductible.

Losses (Homes, Stocks, Other Property)

Deductions & credits

ToddL99,

What if the home was never used as a personal residence?  It just sat empty from the date of death until sold?  

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Unless it was actively used as a rental property (or for some other business purpose), its identity is based on the last person who occupied it.

If that person was an owner-occupant, a surviving spouse- occupant or even someone who was permitted to occupy the property at no cost, then it is considered as personal-use property

Personal-use property is not purchased (or retained) with the primary intent of making a profit, nor do you use it for business or rental purposes. It includes things like your home, furniture, appliances, personal vehicle, and clothing.

Deductions & credits

Thank you so much ToddL99!  I have modified my original comment.  I will say that the Turbotax screens from 2019 were much more user-friendly than the 2020 version.

JN21
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

My 3 siblings and I inherited a house through a trust in 2016.  One sibling remained in the house for about 3 years.  9 months later (during which it was uninhabited), we sold the house (in 2020).    We can claim a loss based on the fair market value in 2016.  I was going to report the loss for my share of the house sale but since the house was occupied, the majority of time since the inheritance, I am assuming I cannot take this loss.  How do I report the sale in Turbotax?

HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

@JN21

Generally, property held for personal use is a capital asset. Gain from a sale or exchange of that property is a capital gain. Loss from the sale or exchange of that property is not deductible. You can deduct a loss relating to personal-use property only if it results from a casualty or theft.

To enter that sale of an inherited second home in TurboTax Online: see Where do I enter the sale of a second home, an inherited home, or land on my 2020 taxes?

To enter sale of a second home if you're using the CD\Download version, click on TurboTax CD/Download.

If your sibling was renting the property and you had set the house up as a rental on your tax return, see I sold my rental property. How do I report that?  A loss on the sale of rental property, would be deductible.

Related Information:

JN21
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

Thanks so much.  I think I saw a link to states about guidelines in reporting such sales to them (this sale was in a different state from my state of residence).  Do you have a link for that?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

There is not a separate entry on the state return.  However, if the sale was in a different state than your resident state and generates a taxable gain, you may need to file a tax return in that state by filing a nonresident return.   If it is a non-deductible loss, you won't need to file the nonresident state return.     @JN21

Why would I have to file a nonresident state return?

How do I file a nonresident state return?

Deductions & credits

I agree completely.  The 2020 version of both Deluxe and Premier default to MAIN HOME ONLY.

No other options are offered.

I need a CPA