I over funded my HSA and it says to withdraws by April 2018. What does withdraw mean? How is that done. I take it it doesn't mean pay a medical bill with the overage.

Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

No, it means taking the funds out, not spending them.

The IRS instruction forms for 5329 and 8889 indicate that your excess contributions will be treated as if they had not been contributed if you do 3 things.

1. Withdraw your contribution before the 2017 tax due date (April 17)

2. Do not claim a deduction on the excess - no problem TurboTax knows this already

3. Also withdraw income earned on the excess contribution.

You can avoid all penalties by removing the excess contributions (and any of their earnings) from your HSA and treating them as normal taxable income. Per the IRS:

"You may withdraw some or all of the excess contributions and not pay the excise tax on the amount withdrawn if you meet the following conditions.

1) You withdraw the excess contributions by the due date, including extensions, of your tax return for the year the contributions were made.

2) You withdraw any income earned on the withdrawn contributions and include the earnings in “Other income” on your tax return for the year you withdraw the contributions and earnings."

The IRS spells it out pretty clearly there, but the removal of the excess contributions and the earnings on those excess contributions must occur before your tax due date. The removed is taxable since HSA tax benefits do not apply. Earnings on excess contributions occur if your HSA is invested or earning interest. Removing those seems fair, since those investments shouldn’t have been made in the first place. The IRS solves all of this by saying just remove them, don’t deduct (i.e. pay tax on ) the excess amounts, and declare any earnings as other income.

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

This is helpful, thank you.

I have a related question:

As the IRS requires, I'd like to declare the interest I made on my HSA excess contribution.  I'd like to declare that as "other income".  How do I do that? 

When I click on "other income" in Turbotax Deluxe, it asks me if I received a 1099-G.  I answered "no".  It also lists 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, 1099-K.  I didn't receive income in any of these ways.    What should I do?

Many thanks for your help,