Hi, can I deduct the unreimbursed MBA tuition as a miscellaneous itemized deduction? The MBA program is going to improve my skills for my current job.

Hi, can I deduct the unreimbursed MBA tuition as a miscellaneous itemized deduction?  Do I have to go through my MBA classes and only deduct the classes that improve my skills for my current job?  If I took couple MBA classes that are not directly related to my current skills, will I be disqualified to deduct any of the MBA tuition?  Please advise.
HelenaC

Deductions & credits

Yes, they may be deductible on Form 1040, Schedule A, Unreimbursed Employee Expenses.

Business deductions are allowed if the M.B.A. training maintains or improves skills used in your current job, profession, or business. For example, if you are a marketing professional, you can deduct M.B.A. costs under this standard.

Business deductions cannot be claimed if the M.B.A. courses are taken before or shortly after you are hired in order to meet pre-existing minimum educational requirements for your job. Also, if the M.B.A. trains you for a new profession. For example, if you are a self-employed tattoo artist who is pursuing an M.B.A. at night to become a marketing professional, you cannot write off the costs as a business expense because the M.B.A. trains you for a new profession.

Non-business credit: M.B.A. costs are eligible for the non-business Lifetime Learning tax credit, which can be worth up to $2,000 a year under the rules explained earlier.

Non-business deduction: You may be eligible to claim the non-business deduction for up to $2,000 or $4,000 of M.B.A. tuition and related fees on Page 1 of Form 1040 under the rules explained earlier.

See IRS Publication 970 Business Deduction for Work-Related Education for additional information.

Related information:

Where do I enter job-related employee expenses?