pjgsjhs67

Am I entitled to minnesota property tax refund?

The Minnesota Property tax refund form says I had to live there Jan 2, 2018.  I owned a different property in Minnesota on that date and bought the current property on April 13, 2018.  Am I still eligible for a property tax refund?

KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

Yes, you still qualify for the Minnesota Homestead credit refund in 2018. 

There are two credits that you may qualify for. 

• You may be eligible for one or both of the following refunds if you owned and lived in your house on January 2, 2019.
    • Homestead credit refund. Your total household income for 2018 must be less than $113,150. The maximum refund is $2,770.
    • Special property tax refund. You must have owned and lived in your home both on January 2, 2018, and on January 2, 2019;
      • Your net property tax on your homestead must have increased more than 12 percent from 2018 to 2019;
      • The net property tax increase must be at least $100 and the increase must not be due to new improvements;
      • There is no income limit for the special property tax refund, and the maximum refund is $1,000.
According to the Minnesota Department of Revenue, if you file a Special property tax refund, but did not own and live in the home on January 2 you still qualify if you owned and lived in another home. However, the Minnesota Department might request that you complete a questionnaire. If asked to do so, follow the instructions below:
  • Complete the questionnaire using the information for the home you owned and lived in on January 2.
  • Provide a copy of the property tax statement for the home you owned and lived in on January 2.

Please view the Minnesota link below for more information.

https://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/individ_income/Pages/HomesteadCreditRefundLetterFAQs-.as...

[Edited 04/11/2019 I 4:15 PM]

pjgsjhs67

Deductions & credits

How can I get a copy of the "questionaire"?
KatrinaB
Intuit Alumni

Deductions & credits

I have edited my answer above. The questionnaire is only required to be completed if you receive a letter from the department of revenue. It relates to the Special Property refund portion of the credit only. Please view my edited answer above.