Last year when doing my taxes, I was asked how muc...
New Member

Last year when doing my taxes, I was asked how much Hong Kong taxes I paid (I live in HK). This year I didn't get asked that q, how can I figure out if I overpaid?

Since I did pay HK taxes, and I believe those are meant to offset US taxes (double taxation regulation), I'm worried that I didn't get credit or an offset against US taxes.
This widget could not be displayed.
New Member

Deductions & credits

If you paid HK income taxes on your HK sourced income, you can always report these HK taxes (in USD) under the Foreign Tax Credit section in TurboTax. You will report these under the general category. When you print your return, you should have a Form 1116.

You would report the income under the Foreign earned income section but the Foreign tax credit is under a different section. You may also need to report the amount of foreign income under the foreign tax credit section so that the TurboTax system can determine the amount of your foreign sourced income (if you did not indicate your foreign income else where in the software.)

If you do a 1040 preview, the foreign tax credit will be on line 48.

To enter a foreign tax credits in TurboTax, log into your tax return (for TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here and click on "Take me to my return") type "foreign tax credit" in the search bar then select "jump to foreign tax credit". TurboTax will guide you in entering this information.

To preview the first 2 pages of 1040:

  • TurboTax Online sign-in, click Here
  • Select "Take me to my Return"
  • Go to "Tax Tools" (on the side bar) then  "Tools"
  • Under the Tools Center, select "view tax summary"
  • Select "preview 1040"

View solution in original post

This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings