Visiting Angels

Visiting Angels is a home aid company hired to help take care of my wife, who has Alheizmers.  Can I claim it as a Medical Expense? or should it me something else?

Deductions & credits

Costs related to the care of your wife are a medical deduction if you itemize. 
They may have information in print or at their website on what part of their services may be deductible. Contact them and ask them for more information in this regard and how they break it down.

Deductions & credits

You can deduct the cost of nursing care as a medical expense.  Nursing care means the kinds of care typically provided by a nurse, but the provider does not have to actually be a nurse.  Typical services would include assistance with eating, dressing, taking medication, and using the toilet.  Costs for companionship and household tasks like cleaning and laundry are never deductible.  You must determine the deductible percentage of the cost based on the services provided.  

Deductions & credits

Additionally, if you work full time, and you pay for care so you can work because your wife is unable to care for herself, you can claim the child and dependent care credit.  But that only applies if the care is needed so you can work full time.