New Member

My parents passed and we had to sell their house. Where do I enter the money from the house I inherited?

Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

To enter the sale of your inherited home, see Where do I enter the sale of a second home, an inherited home, or land on my 2020 taxes?


The basis of property inherited from a decedent is generally one of the following:

  • The fair market value (FMV) of the property on the date of the decedent's death.
  • The FMV of the property on the alternate valuation date if the executor of the estate chooses to use alternate valuation.

Report the sale on Schedule D (Form 1040)Capital Gains and Losses, and on Form 8949Sales and Other Dispositions of Capital Assets:

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"