jgeyer787

When asked about medical expense deductions, does this include medical expenses paid using my HSA account?

Or are these simple expenses paid out of my own account?  I paid for several procedures this year: some using my HSA funds and some using my checking account.  Are the medical expenses supposed to be all encompassing or just what I paid out of my checking account?
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

No, your medical expenses deduction does not include payments from your HSA account.  You can’t include expenses you pay for with a tax-free distribution from your health savings account.   You only want to include cash/out of pocket amounts like the payments you made from your checking account.

Medical expenses include dental expenses, and in this publication the term "medical expenses" is often used to refer to medical and dental expenses.  You can deduct on Schedule A (Form 1040) only the part of your medical and dental expenses that is more than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI).

See  Health Savings Accounts

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
dmertz
Level 15

Deductions & credits

MaryK1101's answer is misleading.  While you can't include on Schedule A line 1 any expenses paid from your HSA, when TurboTax asks you to enter the medical expenses that you paid during the year you must include all payments that you made from the HSA during the year for qualified medical expenses.  TurboTax then automatically subtracts from your total medical expense entries the amount paid from the HSA to determine the amount to include on Schedule A line 1.