mikeo0

I donated $1000.00 to a non-profit association for the upkeep of a cemetery and landscaping efforts. Is this tax deductible ?

i must note that several of my family members are also buried there.
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Generally, contributions to eligible cemeteries for general care of the cemetery are tax deductible whereas those intended for the care of a specific plot or crypt are not.

Many cemeteries are organized as nonprofit organizations, and people sometimes make donations to the cemeteries where their family members or other loved ones are buried. These donations can help with the upkeep of a cemetery and its grounds.

Nonprofit cemetery companies are specifically listed in the Internal Revenue Service's list of allowable tax-deductible charity organizations, but there are certain restrictions on what types of donations are eligible and how much you can deduct.

Specifically, donations must be irrevocably made for the care of the cemetery as a whole and not for the upkeep of a particular plot or mausoleum belonging to some person or family. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deductions & credits

since you gave over $250, the IRS requires that to take a tac deduction the organization furnish you with a receipt. 

Gifts of $250 or more. You can deduct
a gift of $250 or more only if you have a
contemporaneous written acknowledgment from the charitable organization
showing the information in (1) and (2)
next.
1. The amount of any money contributed and a description (but not value)
of any property donated.
2. Whether the organization did or
didn’t give you any goods or services in
return for your contribution. If you did
receive any goods or services, a description and estimate of the value must be
included. If you received only intangible
religious benefits (such as admission to
a religious ceremony), the organization
must state this, but it doesn't have to describe or value the benefit.