I moved to NV in May of 2019 but still have a home in Utah. Do I need to pay Utah state tax?

jtax
Level 10

Deductions & credits

Most states tax you on

1. any income from "sources" in that state (e.g. rental property, a business, a farm, a job in the state, etc.)
  2. your wordwide income if you were "domiciled" or resident in the state (so baseball players have to file dozens of state income tax returns each year being taxed based on their earnings for the number of games/work days in each state. Ugh.)

So for 2019 I think so. See https://incometax.utah.gov/instructions/who-must-file to determine the answer for self. Typically you will, in the TT interview, allocate every item of income and every deduction so that Utah taxes only the portion of your income earned through your moving date in May. Also check the filing requirements in UT to make sure you have to file.

For 2020, pay attention to the domicile rules 

Still owning property is one of the things that can indicate you are domiciled there. But it is a squishy test.

Even if you aren't domiciled if you rent that property the income will certainly be taxed by Utah as would any gain upon sale (both are from UT source income). Even you don't own the property but have a place to stay the issue will be are you domiciled.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"