Travel deduction for my rental property in Europe?

I have a rental property (inherited from my grandfather) in Europe. so, each time I travel there i spend about a day or two dealing with the rental matters (and about 12 days on personal/fun). Can i deduct any portion of my travel expenses from my rental income? if so, which ones? 

Note that I was specifically advised that by establishing in my house in the USA a small home office for managing my rental property, I then could deduct my full airfare once every couple of years, as travel expense from my office to the property (even if the home office deduction is practically zero). Is this true? 

Please advise. Thanks! 

Carl
Level 15

Deductions & credits

i spend about a day or two dealing with the rental matters (and about 12 days on personal/fun).

That indicates that the *PRIMARY* purpose of the travel is *NOT* for rental management purposes. Therefore the travel is not deductible. But any expenses incurred *directly* related to the rental may be. For example, car rental or other transportation expense incurred for the two days you were directly involved in the rental if transportation was needed from your hotel to the rental property.

Note that I was specifically advised that by establishing in my house in the USA a small home office for managing my rental property,

Unfortunately, you may have been advised incorrectly. A home office for long term residential rental real estate reported on SCH E is not allowed and never has been.