Corbin43
Returning Member

Help with eitc and ctc

I put my daughters information on my taxes. I answered yes to the question if the other parent is claiming her. (We had an agreement that she would claim her.) The other parent put our daughter on her taxes and she got rejected but mine got accepted. Her response from the email is that we cant have the same ssn for that dependent. How is this possible? 

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If your daughter is listed a dependent on your tax return, the IRS will accept the first return e-filed with that SSN as a dependent, and reject all others after that.

Your daughter's mother will need to print and mail her tax return.

You should check to make sure your daughter was not counted as a dependent on your tax return for tax benefits to which you were not entitled.  Refer to this IRS website of guidance on "who can claim what" for your daughter.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Corbin43
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

So just by adding her information that counts her as a dependent even though I answered yes to the question if the other parent was claiming her? 

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

You have to be very careful when entering a child for EIC purposes vs as a dependent. It is very easy to click a wrong answer and indicate she is a dependent.

Dependency Questions/Non-custodial parent

What's Megan's relationship to you?

We know Megan is_, but we have to ask: Did she pay for most of her living expenses?

Do you have an agreement with Megan's other parent about who can claim her?

Is Megan's other parent claiming Megan per your legal agreement?

Are you letting Megan's other parent claim Megan for 2019?

Head of Household Questions/Custodial parent

What's Megan's relationship to you?

How many months did Megan live with you in 2019?

Where did Megan spend the most nights in 2019?

Did a relative live in your home and help support Megan?