thaipo

Where to enter foreign taxes paid on Dividends

I entered my dividends received but saw nothing about entering foreign taxes paid.  Amount $29.89
jbeasley2

Deductions & credits

To enter foreign taxes paid on a 1099-DIV,  you need to check the box under the section you enter your dividends that states "My form has info in more than just these boxes (this is uncommon)."

You will then see the rest of the boxes from the Form 1099-DIV and you can enter your foreign taxes paid, Box 6.

View solution in original post

cpmc32

Deductions & credits

It's confusing because TT information keeps saying to put  foreign tax paid in box 6 when box 7 is labeled for foreign tax.
perkque4

Deductions & credits

I have a 1099-DIV and .67 is foreign tax paid, but now I am getting all kind of questions and Turbo tax is saying I have to fill out forms, etc... Does this sound right for .67?

mc-1930
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

I have on line 7 of form 1099-DIV : Foreign Tax Paid $15.47
When entered that data in TurboTax the system asks me to enter the amount of "Foreign Dividends Received: but I do not have that information on the 1099-DIV.
There are two options :
Mutual Fund/Regulated Investment

Other source.
What is the proper way to fill this form?
Thank you.
Warmest regards

mc-1930

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If you are claiming the $15.47 tax, you do need a dividend amount to enter in the box. Try entering $1 to see if that will satisfy the program. Let me know if this works. If questioned by the IRS, just say that you have this dividend statement with no dividend amount listed in Boxes 1a or 1B.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"