gdavault

OR state tax refund

I live in WA state and work for an OR based company. I have been working from home for several months but have still been paying OR state tax. How, if possible, do I get the money money back from OR since I was not physically working in the state? Have looked for forms and such but have had no luck.

Thank you.

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

You must file an non-resident Oregon tax return.  In TurboTax, allocate to OR only the portion of your income that you earned by physically working inside OR.  OR will refund any excess withholding to you.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
gdavault

State tax filing

I have not attempted doing my taxes yet as I am still waiting for documents. I do not understand when you say 'allocate to OR only the portion...'. Is this done with a separate form or merely entering data that will ultimately conflict with my W-2? I have the # of days I was physically in OR so getting my total for OR state taxable income is easy but, as I mentioned earlier, how/will I be  able to enter these #'s into  TurboTax without any red flags popping up? Thank you for your help

TomD8
Level 15

State tax filing

You are correct that, if your W2 and your tax return do not match up, a red flag is likely to be raised, especially if you e-file your OR return.

My suggest is that you edit Box 16 of your W2 so as to reflect your actual OR income, then print and mail your OR return along with a note of explanation.

How do I change my W-2 info in TurboTax? (intuit.com)

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
gdavault

State tax filing

Thanks so much!