Which Category do I choose for Box 14 for NY State SDI

State tax filing

Box 14 - Code NY Nonoccupational Disability Fund
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MM58
Level 1

State tax filing

I would also like to know the answer to this, because it seems to me "Wages for SDI..." would be more accurate. Can someone explain the difference?

MM58
Level 1

State tax filing

Why would you choose that over "Wages for SDI, ...(etc)" ?

BillM223
Expert Alumni

State tax filing

Use "NY Nonoccupational Disability Fund tax" because it has "NY" in it.

HMV1996

State tax filing

@MM58 wages ae income you receive.  If you are entering W2 info - the only wages received is box 1, everything else listed are taxes and funds you pay into to

claro5589

State tax filing

Does this include NY Paid Family Leave? On my stubs it lists the two together - NY Disability/Paid Family Leave Insurance, but in past years NY SDI was listed separately on the W2. Now it only lists NY PFL on the 2021 W2. Since now it says NY PFL, do I still list NY Nonoccupational Disability Fund, or just put other state tax, or other not classified?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

State tax filing

Yes, it is fine that they are grouped together into one lump sum in Box 14 of your W2. New York Paid Family Leave refers to premiums paid for NYPFL and NY disability stands for the NY Disability Benefits Law. 

Please report the lump sum in Box 14 and select the description "Other mandatory state or local tax not on the above list". This flows through to Line 5a on Schedule A and will be deductible if you itemize. 

@claro5589