New Member

If I live in Virginia, work as a medical resident in Washington, DC, and my residency HQ is in Scranton, PA, do I file DC taxes along with my VA tax?

Expert Alumni

State tax filing

It depends.  DC does not tax nonresidents.  If DC tax was not taken out of your paycheck, you do not need to file a DC return.  If it was withheld, you would file a DC reciprocal return to have these mistaken withholdings returned to you.  You will only need to file a Virginia resident return.  (Your residency HQ is not a factor on your tax return.  Even if it did, PA and VA also have a reciprocal agreement that you only pay taxes to your resident state, VA.)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post