New Member

Do I need to file in 2 states if I got a 1099 misc from WV but live in MD?

Expert Alumni

State tax filing

If the 1099 was for services performed in or work derived from WV, then the answer is yes.  Although West Virginia and Maryland have a reciprocal agreement, that agreement does not apply to contract work or other types of 1099 income, but rather, only to wages.  

If this is the case, you will file a West Virginia nonresident return, and then you will file a credit on the Maryland return for the taxes you pay to West Virginia on this income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"