New Member

What can i do if i found that Turbotax is only providing service for US resident after I applied the tax refund......I am a J1 student and I havent received the money yet

Intuit Alumni

After you file

You will need to amend your return.

You will need to wait until the IRS has accepted your return and you have received your refund before you file an amended return.

You will need to complete a nonresident return and print it and attach it to your amended return (1040X)

TurboTax does not support nonresident returns.

However we have a partnership with Sprintax offering a nonresident tax filing solution to our TurboTax customers.

Visit the TurboTax/Sprintax site for more info or to get started.

You can print out the 2018 1040X on the IRS website.  You should not prepare the amended return in TurboTax.  The links to the 1040X are located below.

You can use the steps here below to amend your 1040 return, after the IRS has accepted your return and you've received a refund (or pay tax due). Once you prepare your amended return,  you will need to mail it in with your 1040NR attached , as amended returns cannot be e-filed. So follow the steps here below to help you fix this situation. 

**Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on Form 1040X.

Per IRS page 5 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf:(

To amend Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ, or to file the correct return, do the following: 

  • Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X. 
  • Complete a new or corrected return ( Form 1040NR, etc.). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.” 
  • Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.

Form 1040X - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf 

Form 1040X Instructions https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

Make sure you sign both the amended return and your 1040NR.

View solution in original post