Question about LTR 96C

I received a letter from IRS LTR 96C to request me to refile my tax return since they did not receive my tax return for 2021.

I even paid the tax I owned online through the IRS payment system, and there is a record of my account showing my tax return for 2021. What should I do now? 

Should I mail my record of account from IRS then?

After you file

have you checked to see if the IRS has a transcript of your return?  

you say "record of your account" the IRS has several different transcript types 

Tax Return Transcript - shows most line items from your original Form 1040-series tax return as filed, along with any forms and schedules. It doesn't show changes made after you filed your original return.

Tax Account Transcript - shows basic data such as filing status, taxable income, and payment types. It also shows changes made after you filed your original return.

Record of Account Transcript - combines the tax return and tax account transcripts above into one complete transcript.

note that none of these specifies it contains all the data contained in your tax return.

obviously, the IRS had to have received your return but evidently something happened to your original filing.

no sense mailing a record of your a/c because the IRS has it.

you either mail a complete copy of your return, I worry about late filing penalties because the letter says they did not receive your return which is ......

or write back, include the letter,  that I have reviewed the record of my account, and based on what it contains your contention that you never received my return is bogus. (or use your own wording).  let me know on how you want to proceed in this matter. 

another option would be to contact the Taxpayers  Advocate Service office in your state before doing anything. They may not be willing to help in this matter but it doesn't hurt to call.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/contact-us/#FindlocalTAS 

After you file

Thanks for your insight!

I checked all, Tax Return Transcript, Tax Account Transcript, and Record of Account Transcript; each record my filed return amount, taxes I owed to payoff, and penalties. 

There was a penalty that I paid online immediately after I received their letter.

And my record shows I owed "0" amount currently. 

I really did not know what to do at this point besides mail my entire tax return, which has lots of pages. That is really concerning me on how I mail the whole document in hardcopy and likely lost from their end.

Or I have to schedule a personal visit to the local office and meet with the representative?

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

Are you sure the letter is really from the IRS? What is the address that it wants you to mail your tax return to?

After you file

It raised my concerns as well. 

It only said AUSTIN TX [removed].