heidigsilva
Returning Member

Advanced child tax credit and amended returns

I recently amended my 2020 tax return, it was accepted but not processed yet, and now i Beleive this is causing my advanced child tax credit to be pending. I received the first payment in July and that is when I amended my return, but when I didn’t receive the payment in august I checked my online account and it says it’s pending and I will not receive payments at this time. Has anyone else had this problem?

After you file

I'm in the same boat. I had to amend my state return because it accidentally doubled my income, they helped me with that but also suggested I amend federal even though I didn't change anything there. They didn't warn me it would affect the CTC(I wish I had known). I got my first CTC in July now the portal says pending and I didn't receive August. I was counting on that money and figured it was all working since I got July already. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

Yes, filing an amended return will put your Advance Child Tax Credit payments into pending status. Any payments that you do not receive in advance you will get as a credit on your 2021 tax return, if you are eligible.

heidigsilva
Returning Member

After you file

Yes received the First one as well and who knows how long they will take to amend the return and get this taken care of. I tried calling them but all they say is that they have no further info other than it’s pending 

heidigsilva
Returning Member

After you file

That is my worry, that I will not receive those payments next year because me and my ex alternate years on claiming my daughter. And he will probably be the one to get those payments.

After you file

I'm really sorry to hear that. That's really unfair to you as this whole screw up means you won't even get it on next years return.  There are free tax advocates and state reps as a last ditch effort. That's my next step as Turbotax and the IRS haven't been helpful.

For me, the return won't get processed before December so I'm likely not getting any more advanced payments. My budget is now totally screwed and I'll have to pick up a part time job to not have the wheels fly off.  Turbotax really screwed me, I pay them to know that stuff! They should have told me not to amend federal! There program double loaded my income in my state return to kick this whole mess off in the first place. I'm just here for moral support at this point. Best of luck to you. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

After you file

@heidigsilva wrote:

That is my worry, that I will not receive those payments next year because me and my ex alternate years on claiming my daughter. And he will probably be the one to get those payments.

@heidigsilva  If 2021 is your year to claim your daughter, you will get the full child tax credit for her. Any amount that you don't get as advance payments, you will get as a credit on your 2021 tax return. The monthly payments are an advance of the Child Tax Credit on your 2021 tax return.

The monthly advance payments of the Child Tax Credit are only for 2021. There will be no monthly payments in 2022.