New Member

I just amended my return adding my unemployment but it was already on my return and I thought I had left it off.What do I do

how do I stop a amended return
Expert Alumni

After you file

If you e-filed your amended return and it's been:

  • Rejected by the IRS, you can cancel or undo the amend. 
  • Accepted by the IRS, you won't be able to stop it. It's already at the IRS. Wait for the IRS to process your amended income tax return. This could take 12 to 14 weeks, if not longer, due to the backlog that the IRS has.


Wait for the IRS to process your amended return.

  • If the IRS sends you a refund for the additional unemployment refund amount, you'll need to amend your income tax return. 
  • If the IRS sends you an adjustment letter for your Unemployment, and you agree with the letter, you won't have to do anything. 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

After you file

did you e-File form 1040-X?

you can't retract an e-filed 1040-X any more than you can retract an e-Filed 1040.