New Member

Will I ever get my stimulus checks 1-3. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do? This is the first year for me to file taxes. My husband always did it and now he is gone

He owes back taxes but I shouldn’t be held responsible. I never made any money and didn’t know he hadn’t been paying or filing.
Level 15

After you file

 I never made any money and didn’t know he hadn’t been paying or filing.


Did you live in a Community Property State?   Since you seem to have more issues than just stimulus payments, please see a local tax professional and/or an attorney.

Expert Alumni

After you file

You would need to file a tax return for 2020 in order to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit.


The amount of the Rebate Recovery Credit is based upon your actual 2020 income tax return you file.  Therefore, if you meet the criteria for the credit, you will receive it when you prepare your 2020 income tax return.  The credit is intended to give those who should have received either the first or second stimulus payment but never did a tax credit on their tax returns.  Any excess credit is then refunded to you if there is an overpayment on your tax return.


Please see the attached link for more information on who can claim the credit.


Recovery Rebate Credit eligibility


When you prepare your 2020 income tax return, be sure to do the following to ensure the credit is calculated correctly on your income tax return. 

  1. In the Federal section, select the Federal Review interview section at the top of the screen.
  2. This will take you to the input section for the Recovery Rebate credit.
  3. Be sure to indicate the actual amount of each stimulus payment you received on the page that asks if you received a stimulus payment.  You will indicate here you did not receive either payment and enter zero in both boxes.

Please see the link below for more information on the third stimulus payment.


How will the 3rd stimulus affect me


The advice by SweetieJean above is also important as you may have other issues to deal with and may need an advocate to assist you with filing your returns.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"