Can you tell me how I figure out where Turbo Tax arrives at my Income taxes paid for my return under Deductions and Credits?

When I add up W2 info and 1099 info it does not equal figure that Turbo Tax comes up with.

After you file

If you scroll down past the Tax Breaks page on the Deductions and Credits screen to the Estimated and Other Taxes Paid.  Click Show More.  Then select Income Taxes Paid.  You will see a blue link that will give you a breakdown of the actual number.  See screenshots

But, that number summarizes all of the income taxes (but not SS or Medicare taxes) you have paid either directly or through withholdings on Forms such as W2s, 1099s, etc for both your federal and state returns.  For example, that number would include both of your Federal and state withholdings.  It can also include local taxes, refunds applied to this year's taxes from a prior year, balances due from prior years that were paid in this year, and payments made with any extension you might file.

While it shows under Deductions and Credits, it’s actually just a summary number and not necessarily related to any particular deduction (some of it is not even a deduction - i.e. federal taxes withheld on your federal return).  

View solution in original post