SW24
Returning Member

Dependent status change to get stimulus money

I had filed my 2019 tax return with claiming my son as an Adult dependent. 

And my son filed his return without claiming himself just to file a 2019 Income Tax Return to get a Stimulus check. However, we both found out that my son is NOT eligible for the stimulus check since he was claimed as a dependent in my tax return.

I want my son to get this stimulus check of $1200 since he needs that.

So I am thinking about filing an Amended 2019 Tax Return without claiming him as a dependent. And my son will file his Amended Return WITH claiming himself. 

If we both do this, will my son get a stimulus money of $12000? 

Does changing dependent status causes any kind of issues with IRS for my tax return?

Since the Amended return will take time to be processed by IRS, the stimulus money will still be available to be distributed based on these Amended returns?

Appreciating your response,

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

After you file

No, the stimulus funds will be disbursed based on you and your sons filing status on your 2019 taxes.  When  you amend your 2019 returns, you are required to mail those into the IRS.  Since the Corona Virus much of the IRS, it may be some time before the IRS opens and posts your Amended Returns.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dlnc9904

After you file

I have a weird situation that i hope you can help with. My 20 yo son was a dependent on my 2018 return but will not be on our 2019 return (dropped to less that full time hours in college). That means he should be eligible for the stimulus package. However, because there was an error on his w2 this year we are still waiting to get that corrected form to file his 2019 return.  Is it too late for him to get the stimulus money since he was a dependent on our 2018, or will they send it once his return is submitted?  Thanks!