cnecole26

Incorrect Federal withholding should I amend my return

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

After you file

Yes, you should file an amended return if your Federal withholdings were listed incorrectly on your tax return.  Here is how:

In order to file an amended return, make sure that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail by the IRS.

To prepare an amended return through TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ldresliekahn
Returning Member

After you file

I used Turbo Tax from a CD.  I try opening a form 1040X for my accepted 2019 return, but no information populates it - no personal info, filing status, numbers from my original 1040.  I somehow put all of my est tax payments and withholding on the withholding line.  (I'm not sure how I did that in the first place.) I need to separate them for the amended return. So I really have to reenter the whole return?  Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

After you file

If you are using the desktop version of Turbo Tax, be sure to click on "Check for Updates" and update your software if needed. If that doesn't work you can manually update your software.

In the Desktop Software, you can also switch to Forms mode and input/override what you have entered in your tax return. Here is How to switch to forms mode.