How can I amend my state return? I answered a question in error. I need to correct it. Please help.

LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

After you file

If have already filed, you will have to wait until your return is either rejected or approved.  

If it's rejected, you can return to your program to make corrections while fixing the error. 

If your return is approved, you would need to amend if making the correction changes your original refund amount or tax due.  Come back later to this link 2019 Amend to amend.  If you need to amend, wait until your return is fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  

View solution in original post

After you file

I filed my 2018 NJ state return on time and was due a refund. The state recently refunded a lesser amount and sent an explanation that this was due to a Retirement Income Exclusion being denied. I realized that I had answered a certain question incorrectly in TurboTax and, when answered correctly, TurboTax showed the adjusted refund as the reduced amount the state had already sent to me. Two questions: do I need to file an amended NJ state return to correct my error; and how do I get TurboTax to not say I owe the state the difference between the originally-claimed amount and what the state eventually sent to me as a refund, that is, to have the amended return net out to a zero tax liability or refund since the state already has kept the difference?