How long does it take for them to take out money that I owed for state tax from my debit account? It's been over 3 weeks and no money was taken out yet, should i wait?

Rebecca_1

After you file

Your payment takes two business days to process, and payments submitted after 8 p.m. EST will begin processing the next business day. Continue to hold on to your confirmation number until your payment is processed

During non-peak times, funds are usually withdrawn on the payment date you specify, assuming your e-filed return has already been accepted received by the IRS.

If that date happens to fall on a weekend or federal holiday, the funds are typically withdrawn the next business day.

Now, if you filed right before or on the busy April 15 deadline, the IRS may not be able to debit your payment until after the deadline, due to high e-filing volume. In addition, it can take your bank another few days to post the debit to your account.

No worries; as long as you filed your return or extension on or before April 15 and you selected April 15 or earlier as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment.

In the meantime, keep an eye on your bank account – if you still don't see the debit 7-10 days after your return has been accepted, call IRS e-file Payment Services at 1-888-353-4537 or contact your state tax agency.