spiglia

TurboTax 'Review' indicates NYS amended return, but I'm not filing an amended return.

Check This Entry
IT-201-X Pg 1-2 -- IT-201-X Pg 5-6: Reason(s) for amending your return must be selected. Check all applicable boxes.
Federal audit change
Worthless stock/security
Claim of right
Wages
Military
Court ruling
Workers' compensation
Treaties/visa
Tax shelter transaction
Credit claim
Protective Claim
Net Operating Loss box
Report SSN box
Other

After you file

Did you file the federal return and then come back to complete the NY return ?  If so did you accidentally click on "amend a return" to open the closed tax file ?  

Please try the information below to unamend your state taxes and then at the bottom of this post you will find the steps to complete your state return:

Unamend State

The best way to "unamend" your state return is to go through your state return from the beginning and keep your eyes peeled for amend-related screens or questions.

The amend question usually appears right at the beginning or towards the end of the state interview (never in the middle).

• Correct any entries that have to do with an amended return, e.g.:
  • Answer No when asked if you want to amend;
  • Clear any amend-related checkboxes;
  • Delete entries in the tax year field.

Note: In a few state programs, you actually have to answer Yes to the amend question so you can revisit the screens that contain the information you want to delete.

View solution in original post

spiglia

After you file

Critter ... thanks so much for your assistance.  We did end-up walking back through the NYS return from scratch, which seems to have remedied our situation.  Word to the wise: Don't stop your return midway in April, then pick it up again in October with only days remaining.  I'm sure that my more or less discontinuous flow through the process from beginning to end was a contributor.  -s, ny

After you file

Yes ... there have been several program updates since then that can mess with the system.