New Member

How do I file a 1040x amended tax return when IRS sent a letter saying I made an error on my original return and we are already paying off the "error" amount?

For tax year 2014, we submitted our tax return through TurboTax in early 2015.  

We received our refunds (Federal/State) a few weeks later. 

In the summer of 2015, we received a letter from the IRS saying we hadn't paid enough taxes and that we still owed $2,000.  I should have researched it some more since I wasn't sure what mistake I had made, but I ended up setting up a $50/month payment plan.

Just a few days ago, I realized I neglected to include medical related tax deductions in our 2014 return. 

We'd like to file a 1040x to recoup the additional refund we believe we're due, but we're not sure how to fill out the forms taking into account the $2,000 amount the IRS thinks we still owe them.  The 1040x lets you fill in the "original" numbers you filed along with your amended numbers.  How should we include the $2,000 amount in those figures?  I'm guessing we'll need to include a note about it as well, explaining all about it.

New Member

After you file

When you do your amendment, you can include the details in the description of why you're filing an amendment; attaching a cover letter when you mail it in would also be a good idea.

Here's how to get started on your amendment:

How to amend a return you already filed