andyTT

Should I submit Form 4852 to correct mistake if I am unable to get a corrected 1099-R?

I received a 1099-R for a closed company funded pension.  I had the company transfer the money directly into a Roth IRA.  I was told I would be paying tax on the money as it was not going into a traditional IRA.  The 1099-R is as follows: gross distribution amount is correct, box 2a is 0.00, box 2b Total distribution box is "X", and box 7 is "G".  I would think box 2a should be equal to the gross distribution as it was a purely company funded pension.  Having trouble getting help from Human Resources to try to get corrected form if needed.  Thanks

dmertz
Level 15

After you file

Yes, you would need to use Form 4852 if you cannot get HR to make the correction.  Do this in TurboTax by marking the "I need to prepare a substitute 1099-R" box.

View solution in original post

After you file

I can not find out where to start the process to fill out a corrected 1099R.  Because I have had money come out correctly in previous years, the form shows up partially filled.  Do I need to start a blank form to pick that choice.

Thank you

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

After you file

Yes, as you enter 1099R information, you will see a screen that looks like the screenshot I included below.  this is where you tell you program you want to enter substitute 1099R information. 

1. Go to federal>wages and income>all income
  2. Retirement plans and Social Security>show more 
  3. Ira (401K), pension plan Withdrawals(1099R) Start
  4. Here you will enter your 1099R as accurately as you can.
  5. After entering, you will have a series of follow up questions. Continue until you see a screen just like the one you see below.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

After you file

Thank you.