Trey1

If you are qualified as a dependent, can you file as an independent?

I got married in October, but both my wife and I lived separately at home till August (past the 6 months rule). We were in college at the beginning and up to the middle of the year and were both supported by our parents up until August. Both of our set of parents can each claim us as dependents for their tax return. My question is, even though they CAN, do they HAVE to? I am wanting to file married jointly, but I'm not sure if that is allowed since we qualify as dependents.

MinhT
Expert Alumni

After you file

If you were married on the last day of 2017, your only filing options are Married filing Jointly or Married filing Separately.

On the point of support, the question to ask is whether each of you did provide more than half of your own support in 2017. From what you wrote, it appears that the answer is no and that your respective parents provided more than half of your support in 2017.

In your case, if you are under age 24 on December 31, 2017, your respective parents should claim you as their dependents and also claim your education credits if applicable.

Each of you should file as Married filing separately and indicate on your tax returns that you are being claimed as a dependent by another taxpayer.

If you filed Married filing jointly, your parents would not be able to claim you as their dependents.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post