mrdecoys
Returning Member

Sale of rental property and retirement

I just sold my rental property in Maryland last month.  I owned it for over 15 years. After taxes and all other expenses I expect to net around 110 k.

I can retire in October of this year, but I will have to take a supplemental social security payment until I'm 62 years old. If I retire in October will I loose some of the 110 k  I made from the house in penalties?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Not computing. Are you referring to this?: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm

Perhaps someone else knows.

Hal_Al
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

What is " supplemental social security payment"?  If that is extra pension your employer gives you until you reach age 62, then it is fully taxable income, like most employer retirement.

Q.  will I loose some of the 110 k  I made from the house in penalties?

A.  No and maybe.  There are no "penalties" for anything your have described. However, all your income is added together to determine at which rate your capital gain (from the rental sale) is taxed.  In simple terms, any additional income you have (including supplemental retirement),  pushes more of your capital gain into the 15% (or higher) bracket, from the 0% rate.

Keep in mind that the "depreciation recapture" portion of your gain is all taxed as ordinary income. It is not eligible for capital gains rate (none of the  recapture was eligible for the  0% rate, regardless of your other income).