Why does the software require the license code after updates?

I don't remember it ever being as bad as this year. Almost every time the software updates (which is almost every time I open the software), I have to dig through my email to find the stupid license code and re-enter it. intuit, you used to make good software, but frankly between this and not being able to paste strong passwords into your software, I think my taxes for 2021 will be done with software from one of your competitors (and you have a lot of competition these days). Get your act together intuit!

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

do you use a USB drive?

TurboTax looks at your configuration and will ask again if it thinks your computer has changed.

I appreciate the suggestion about a thumb drive, but I don't think that is the issue. I do use them from time to time but not related to turbotax and I haven't used one in several weeks. I have opened TT a few times since the last time I used a thumb drive. This is directly related to when TT does a software update. It has happened 3-4 times since I installed the software and every time has been after a software update. It isn't every time that the software updates, but every time that I have been required to re-enter the license code it has been immediately after a software update.

Even if I were using a thumb drive, requiring the license code is not reasonable. A license code is something you enter once to prove it isn't pirated software.

It gets worse. After five entries you will be locked out.

You are advised to turn off auto-update.