ITIN and tax return

Hi,

I am an alien in the process of requesting "Permanent Residence" since March 2020. (and of requesting a work and a travel permit as well).

I have lived for the entire 2020 year in the US.

I got married in Feb 2020 with a US citizen.

My visa has expired  in Feb 2020, but I am allowed to stay in the US during the process (even more, I can't leave the US during the process).

I have no income for the 2020 year (I am not allowed to work during the process.).

My wife and I aim to have a separate 2020 tax return.

Can we fill separately? Do I have to fill, as far as I have no income?

My wife can declare as married, filled separetely => but she is asked to fill my SSN/ITIN. I have no SSN and no ITIN.

Can I asked for an ITIN? If I have no income to declare?

Thnak you for your answers,

S.

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

See the following answer to a similar questions, although it is addressed to the citizen, which in your case would be your wife.  You would be the "spouse".

Since you were married on December 31 you have to file as MFJ or MFS. As a US Citizen or a Resident Alien, you have two choices in filing your taxes.  Keep in mind, you almost always pay less tax if you file jointly, as opposed to separately.

Option 1

Treat your spouse as resident alien for tax purposes.   If you do this, you will need to include your spouse's worldwide income in your US tax return and it will be subject to US taxes.  To do this follow these steps.

1. Attach a statement to your tax return, signed by both spouses, that states that one spouse is a nonresident alien and the other is a U.S. citizen or resident alien, and you are choosing to both be treated as US residents for the tax year.
  2. List the name, address and Social Security number (or Individual Taxpayer Identification number) of each spouse. If your spouse has a social security number you will use it.  If not, you will need to apply for a number using Form SS-5.  If your spouse is not eligible to apply for a Social Security number, complete a Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw7.pdf).  This form will be attached to your tax return.  Turbo Tax does not support the Form W-7.  You can complete it outside of Turbo Tax.  You will have to print, sign and mail your return in if you are using Form W-7.
  3. For the first year you make the choice, you have to file a joint return. In later years you can file joint or separate returns. Married Filing Jointly will give you a higher standard deduction and has other benefits that are not available using a married filing separately status, but you do have to include your spouse’s worldwide income in joint income.

Option 2

Treat your spouse as a nonresident alien for tax purposes. You will not have to include your spouse’s non-US income on your U.S. tax return. You will have to use the filing status of Married Filing Separately.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Nonresident-Spouse-Treated-as-a-Resident

If everyone on the tax return has a social security number or ITIN, you should mail your return to the address listed in the 1040 instructions.  Tax returns with a Form W-7 should be mailed to the Austin TX address.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post