nrb98

I checked that I could be claimed as a dependent but I also stated that I paid for all of my living expenses and no one claimed me as a dependent so why haven’t I received it?

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

According to the information on the IRS site, if you were claimed as a dependent or can be claimed as a dependent, then you will not be eligible for a stimulus payment.  Having checked the box on your return that you could be claimed as a dependent will disqualify you from receiving a stimulus payment.  

Use the link below to learn more:

IRS - Economic Impact Payment

@nrb98

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@nrb98 the issue is that if you CAN BE claimed, regardless if you were claimed, you are not eligible for the stimulus.

here are the 4 tests to be a dependent (written from the perspective of the person claiming you).  if all 4 tests are passed they CAN claim you.  if they fail ANY ONE of the 4 tests, you CAN NOT be their  dependent. 

Why did you check that box in the first place?

1. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household.
2. The person's gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4,200 in 2019.
3. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.
4. The person must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. resident alien, U.S. national, or a resident of Canada or Mexico.