Stimulus check and my direct deposit

I have not yet filed my 2019 taxes because I owe. I filed last year(2018) and owed the irs a little and paid them instantly....years prior I always got a refund and it was direct deposited into my account. My question is, since I owed the irs, do they still have my direct deposit info? I know they are basing the stimulus checks off the past 2 years of taxes but they do have my direct deposit info from prior years...will my stimulus be deposited?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

The IRS will look up your 2018 or 2019 return. So if you have paid your 2018 tax due by direct debit and provided your bank information, the IRS will use that bank information to direct deposit your stimulus payment. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

Thank you...I did pay by direct debit last year.

Hi @MinhT1, your response is incorrect according to the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

Finding out this information took far too long and was very unclear. I expected more from Intuit.

As per this webpage:

I made an electronic payment from my bank account to the IRS (includes a Direct Debit Installment Agreement (DDIA)). Will my payment be direct deposited to the same account? Can I use Get My Payment to provide my bank account information?

The account information used to make an electronic payment to the IRS cannot be used as the account information for the direct deposit of your payment. If we do not have bank account information for you and your payment has not been processed yet, Get My Payment will allow you to submit your bank account information once you have properly verified your identity so that you can get your EIP via direct deposit. Otherwise, we will mail your payment to address we have on file for you.

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

@NumeralNumbers 

The law says:

DELIVERY OF PAYMENTS.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Secretary may certify and disburse refunds payable under this subsection electronically to any account to which the payee authorized, on or after January 1, 2018, the delivery of a refund of taxes under this title or of a Federal payment (as defined in section 3332 of title 31, United States Code).

So, if you have provided your bank information for a direct debit (which is a Federal payment), the IRS will use that bank information to direct deposit the stimulus payment.

The payment referred to in the FAQ would be an occasional payment that a taxpayer made through irs.gov/payments

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"