JF2
Returning Member

Why do I have a form 8995 this year?

I do not have a business or any business income. For some reason, TT is generating a Form 8995 for me. It reports my taxable income in lines 11 and 13 and then calculates the 20% for line 14. All other lines show 0. The only thing I found was a Forum comment regarding it being triggered by Form 1099-DIV, which I have and imported from Fidelity, and an amount for Section 199A Dividends which for me is $0.00. What else could be the cause? I didn't have a Form 8995 last year with TT. Should I just go ahead and file?

JF2
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Correction, on the Form 8995 Line 6 is blank not 0.

JF2
Returning Member

Also, I do not have any  pass-through entities, REIT dividends, or PTPs

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Is there other information on the 1099-DIV form?

Are you able to delete the form, then re-enter all the data except box 5? 

If there is no other information on the form, are you able to delete the form and not generate a form 8995?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

on the 1099-div form blank out the line with $0 for 199A dividends.  $0 is not blank.  

JF2
Returning Member

On the 1099-DIV, I have an entry in box 1A. All other lines are $0 or blank. The information was imported from Fidelity, so I guess I can try to delete it an enter it manually. I don't think I should have to. Is this a bug?

JF2
Returning Member

I can't edit the 1099-DIV as it is one of the documents that was imported from Fidelity. I would have to delete all the forms and input each manually. Dear TurboTax, change the code to look for 199A to be > 0.

Herb-C

I'm preparing two different returns, and both want to include Form 8995, which is unrelated to anything I'm doing.  I have tried every suggestion included in this thread, to no avail.  This is obviously a bug in TurboTax.   For me, the problem occurs only when working on a return that was transferred from last year.  Here's why I have come to this conclusion.

I started modifying one of my returns, eventually removing all line items that had anything to do with dividends, interest, pensions, etc.  The Form 8995 was still there!   Then I basically created a "new" return, entering the same information, and this time there was no Form 8995!!   It appears to me that something is being transferred that causes the problem.

NONNI9

Why do i have a form 8995 this year