New Member

How do I claim my 19 year old son's employment on my taxes?

New Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If your son has a W-2 for his job you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but you MUST indicate on his return that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.  You may want to use this version of TT for that:


View solution in original post