nikolairz
Returning Member

Filling US taxes after leaving US

Hello I need some help with my taxes. I and my wife lived 2018 in Kentucky with Green Card (Permanent Resident Card) and in 2019 we did our taxes uses turbotax. In 2019 we lived only 4 months and we left US (moved to Europe, Bulgaria). Now I have our W2 forms online. So my question is for 2019 we are nonresident or part-year resident  and what is better for us filing jointly or separately? I did 14K $ and my wife did 11K $. Thank you very much! 🙂

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

According to the IRS:

If you are a resident alien, the rules for filing income, estate, and gift tax returns and paying estimated tax are generally the same whether you are in the United States or abroad. Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax the same way as a U.S. citizen. You are a resident alien of the United States for tax purposes if you meet either the green card test or the substantial presence test for the calendar year.

As far as whether you should file jointly or separate, I can't say for sure, but it is almost always more advantageous to file jointly.  The only way to know for sure would be to calculate it both ways.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post